Saturday, February 28, 2009

After the baby is finally here...then what?
I remember being so very excited about each baby coming into our lives. I also remember the thought of not knowing what to do after we brought them home. Either carrying a baby in your tummy for 9 months or in your heart for 14 months, the end result is loving your baby through the ups and downs. Giving birth has it's own "getting to know you time" and adjustments. Each child is different and each experience will be different.

While in China, Alaina was the perfect little baby in my arms. She "shut down" the first few hours and some times throughout the days we were in China...the beginning of her grieving. The grieving is so normal. She had been torn away from everything she had ever known...especially the foster parents. Alaina was loved and cared for while in China so this makes sense that she would grieve.

Overall, she was very happy in my arms while in China. After we returned, we had a different child in our arms. She would slap herself and scream really loudly if someone tried to touch her...really a difficult thing. I didn't want people thinking that we had a "crazy child" so it was challenging for me.

It wasn't long that her true self came out. She is the most beautiful, smart, affectionate little girl. Her love language is 'touch' for sure. She fits perfectly with our other children and if I didn't know better, I would think that she did come out of my tummy. God had her planned for us.
See OUR FIRST YEAR slide show

No comments:

Post a Comment